64K ram exp for 8032 problem - Smoke rolled out of the case!
Rick
2003-08-14 06:11:14 UTC
Were any of these boards defective? I just got 2 "new old stock" ones
off ebay. Installing one after the other in my 8032, they both burnt
out in the same place. The board has markings, "ASSY 8032110 PET 64K
MEMORY"

Walking the left edge from the front to the back of the add-on board
(left of the CPU looking straight in after you open the hood), it was
one of the little blue capacitors (maybe?) after you pass the heat
sink, a little more than half-way back on the left edge of the board.
There are a group of three things there before you get to a large
black transtor sticking up. The thing that blew was the left one of
the three, right on the left edge of the board.

This happened twice! One board after the next. As I said, both
boards were new old stock in Commodore boxes, came with the manuals
and 4040/8050 demo disks, legs, wires, etc...

What was that part that blew?

I'd like to replace the part (maybe it was a capacitor) and try again.
Perhaps it suffered from old age, dry rott or something else. My
computer still works without the board installed - for now.

Thanks,
Rick
Rick
2003-08-17 21:52:35 UTC
I got it working. I replaced the blown capacitor with 10/25 I cut off
the second board. I also used three plastic cable ties to firmly seat
the ribbon cable in the CPU socket...one slid under the white plastic
socket and the other two to wrap across the top of the cable. --Rick
Rick
Dave Dahle
2003-08-18 06:23:05 UTC
Post by Rick
I got it working. I replaced the blown capacitor with 10/25 I cut off
the second board. I also used three plastic cable ties to firmly seat
the ribbon cable in the CPU socket...one slid under the white plastic
socket and the other two to wrap across the top of the cable. --Rick
Electrolytics are fairly cheap - go see www.digikey.com or even visit your
local Radio Shack for assistance in getting new ones. Far better to have
fresh ones installed than make do with aged ones... the best way to keep
electrolytics good is to power up the devices every so often... leave them
idle and they'll just pfft.

Dave