lemon64.com down
Add Reply
Tristan Miller
2020-12-16 08:00:43 UTC
Greetings.

The Lemon64 site at https://www.lemon64.com/ seems to have been down for
some time now -- a day, at least, or possibly longer. Does anyone know
the reason? Has the site been abandoned?

Regards,
Tristan
--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Tristan Miller
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Lawrence Woodman
2020-12-16 13:34:24 UTC
Post by Tristan Miller
The Lemon64 site at https://www.lemon64.com/ seems to have been down for
some time now -- a day, at least, or possibly longer. Does anyone know
the reason? Has the site been abandoned?
Unfortunately lemon64 and lemonAmiga both got hacked. I understand they
are dealing with it as we speak. It's always a shame when hackers target
a website but particularly so when it's a hobby site like this.

Best wishes

Lorry

---
Run Code and Store Data in Display Memory on the Commodore VIC-20
https://techtinkering.com/articles/code-and-data-in-display-memory-on-the-vic-20/
Tristan Miller
2020-12-16 13:42:41 UTC
Greetings.
Post by Lawrence Woodman
Post by Tristan Miller
The Lemon64 site at https://www.lemon64.com/ seems to have been down for
some time now -- a day, at least, or possibly longer. Does anyone know
the reason? Has the site been abandoned?
Unfortunately lemon64 and lemonAmiga both got hacked. I understand they
are dealing with it as we speak. It's always a shame when hackers target
a website but particularly so when it's a hobby site like this.
I see! That's unfortunate. May I ask where you're getting this
information from? Is there some other website or social media feed I
can check for updates?

Regards,
Tristan
--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Lawrence Woodman
2020-12-16 13:47:04 UTC
Post by Tristan Miller
Post by Lawrence Woodman
Post by Tristan Miller
The Lemon64 site at https://www.lemon64.com/ seems to have been down for
some time now -- a day, at least, or possibly longer. Does anyone know
the reason? Has the site been abandoned?
Unfortunately lemon64 and lemonAmiga both got hacked. I understand they
are dealing with it as we speak. It's always a shame when hackers target
a website but particularly so when it's a hobby site like this.
I see! That's unfortunate. May I ask where you're getting this
information from? Is there some other website or social media feed I
can check for updates?
It was reported by @AmigaLOve on twitter:
https://twitter.com/AmigaL0ve/status/1339014484216532992

Lorry

---
Andreas Kohlbach
2020-12-21 17:49:25 UTC
Post by Tristan Miller
The Lemon64 site at https://www.lemon64.com/ seems to have been down for
some time now -- a day, at least, or possibly longer. Does anyone know
the reason? Has the site been abandoned?
Apparently hacked, as already mentioned.

https://www.reddit.com/r/c64/comments/kd3y94/is_lemon_64_down/

| This really burns me that some asshole did this - especially to
| hobbiest websites that have no financial gain for the attacker.

Probably by a fanatic ATARI user. ;-)

Was looking how to configure the VICE emulator to actually print to a
"modern" Officejet 6600 (I found on the sidewalk some weeks ago, which
still works!), because it only creates a BMP file instead of printing.

Luckily Google has pages from Lemon64 in its cache.

Hope they are back soon.
--
Andreas

PGP fingerprint 952B0A9F12C2FD6C9F7E68DAA9C2EA89D1A370E0
2020-12-28 20:14:05 UTC
Post by Andreas Kohlbach
Post by Tristan Miller
The Lemon64 site at https://www.lemon64.com/ seems to have been down for
some time now -- a day, at least, or possibly longer. Does anyone know
the reason? Has the site been abandoned?
Apparently hacked, as already mentioned.
https://www.reddit.com/r/c64/comments/kd3y94/is_lemon_64_down/
| This really burns me that some asshole did this - especially to
| hobbiest websites that have no financial gain for the attacker.
Probably by a fanatic ATARI user. ;-)
It's more likely the owner has not cared about security
for many years and as a result the sites got hacked by
bots. Let's hope the Swedish data protection agency has
mercy on him, or rather not.
Kevin
2020-12-29 18:25:57 UTC
On 28/12/2020 21:14, ***@Your.Bathroom wrote to All:

-> It's more likely the owner has not cared about security
-> for many years and as a result the sites got hacked by
-> bots. Let's hope the Swedish data protection agency has
-> mercy on him, or rather not.

It's not always the fault of the site that has the PHP script (even though PHP Board
software is pretty leaky), one of my sites got taken down because another user on the
cluster had an insecure script on their account. This was also compounded my my ex-
webhost having pretty shitty security.

From what I understand some actor got root access, so I would put that in the hands of
their webhost EIG - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endurance_International_Group

-Kevin
2020-12-31 12:42:38 UTC
Post by Kevin
-> It's more likely the owner has not cared about security
-> for many years and as a result the sites got hacked by
-> bots. Let's hope the Swedish data protection agency has
-> mercy on him, or rather not.
It's not always the fault of the site that has the PHP
script (even though PHP Board software is pretty
leaky), one of my sites got taken down because another
user on the cluster had an insecure script on their
account. This was also compounded my my ex- webhost
having pretty shitty security.
From what I understand some actor got root access, so I
would put that in the hands of their webhost EIG -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endurance_International_Group
-Kevin
Lemon can't talk his way out of what he behaved himself
into.

The blame game doesn't work, since the webhost is in no
way responsible for the PII gathetered and processed by
lemon, nor the protection thereof. Lemon knows that
there are more secure solutions available to store and
process PII. Yet, he chose not to move to more secure
solutions. But, seriously, using a shared webhosting
service to store PII does not favour Lemon and would even
even argue that he is at fault. The GDPR is very clear
about the measures one should take for the protection
of PII.

I'm sure that lemon is taking care of all this together
with the Swedish data protection agency, external
security auditors and his laywers.
Lawrence Woodman
2020-12-31 15:24:03 UTC
Post by B
Lemon can't talk his way out of what he behaved himself
into.
I just wanted to gently remind you that lemon64 is essentially a hobbyist
effort and while they may make a little money from their merchandise and
what have you, I would imagine it is pretty minimal. A little kindness
would go a long way here. It is unrealistic to expect them to have the
expertise and knowledge of a more professional business. As far as the
GDPR and similar laws are concerned the main thing now is that they
report it properly and possibly also how we as a community may be able
to help.

Best wishes

Lorry

---
Visualizing Zero Page on the Commodore VIC-20
https://techtinkering.com/articles/visualizing-zero-page-on-the-commodore-vic-20/