The Amiga echo...
Simon Geddes
2019-10-20 23:34:39 UTC
As someone who first properly encountered Commodore with the Amiga computers,
this comprises my major area of know-how and interest. The Amiga (and its
PPC-based modern incarnations) OS remains my main day-to-day OS, so it's more
than a hobby but something which serves my daily working life. That's just an
aisde - subject-relevant question follows! :)

Looking at the echo list on the BBS where I pick up my fidonet, I can't see the
Amiga echo as an option. However, looking a the Fidogazette, I can see it
doesn't get any posts. It's that because Amiga users have all but left Fidonet,
or is CBM now the preferred place for all things Commodore (and beyond)?
Kurt Weiske
2019-10-21 17:42:00 UTC
-=> Simon Geddes wrote to All <=-

SG> can see it doesn't get any posts. It's that because Amiga users have
SG> all but left Fidonet, or is CBM now the preferred place for all things
SG> Commodore (and beyond)?

It certainly makes sense to collapse echoes to minimize the number of dead
echoes and increase message traffic in others.

... Would anybody want it?
PalKat
2019-10-22 06:29:07 UTC
On 21 Oct 2019, Simon Geddes said the following...

SG> Looking at the echo list on the BBS where I pick up my fidonet, I can't
SG> see the Amiga echo as an option. However, looking a the Fidogazette, I
SG> can see it doesn't get any posts. It's that because Amiga users have all
SG> but left Fidonet, or is CBM now the preferred place for all things
SG> Commodore (and beyond)?

Does the BBS your connecting on offer Usenet message boards? What your
pointing out is why I added them to my BBS so there is not only this board but
also:

COMP.SYS.AMIGA.HARDWARE
COMP.SYS.AMIGA.MISC
COMP.SYS.APPLE2
COMP.SYS.ATARI.8BIT
COMP.SYS.ATARI.ST

And more... The Amiga boards in the above list do have current activity.

-=[ bbs.8bitboyz.com:6502 ]=-
Simon Geddes
2019-10-23 08:39:00 UTC
Pa> Does the BBS your connecting on offer Usenet message boards? What your
Pa> pointing out is why I added them to my BBS so there is not only this
Pa> board but also:

Pa> COMP.SYS.AMIGA.HARDWARE
Pa> COMP.SYS.AMIGA.MISC
Pa> COMP.SYS.APPLE2
Pa> COMP.SYS.ATARI.8BIT
Pa> COMP.SYS.ATARI.ST

Pa> And more... The Amiga boards in the above list do have current activity.

It doesn't. It's a good idea though - although I would rather stay in the world
of the BBS/fido/other BBS nets, than venture into the murky world of the net*.

* This seems like a somewhat arbitary distinction I agree, when most BBSes are
accessible only via the internet! But if I had a readily-available internet
connection, I'd just go www.amiga.org, amigaworld.org etc. etc.

* Q-Blue 2.4 *
PalKat
2019-10-24 08:33:54 UTC
On 23 Oct 2019, Simon Geddes said the following...

SG> It doesn't. It's a good idea though - although I would rather stay in
SG> the world of the BBS/fido/other BBS nets, than venture into the murky
SG> world of the net*.
SG>
SG> * This seems like a somewhat arbitary distinction I agree, when most
SG> BBSes are accessible only via the internet! But if I had a
SG> readily-available internet connection, I'd just go www.amiga.org,
SG> amigaworld.org etc. etc.

Well there are Amgia echo's on CNet and Retronet, those nets sound more like
what your looking for if I am hearing you right. The activity on the amiga
echo under retronet lately is more active than CNet's.

Again does the BBS your connecting to offer CNet or Retronet? Being a
Commodore teen and graduating to Amiga, this is why I offer those nets along
with the usenets on my BBS. My personal goal for my BBS is to offer the most
active 8/16bit echo's/nets I can find so users can connect with others all in
one place.
Simon Geddes
2019-10-26 02:28:00 UTC
Pa> Again does the BBS your connecting to offer CNet or Retronet? Being a
Pa> Commodore teen and graduating to Amiga, this is why I offer those nets
Pa> along with the usenets on my BBS. My personal goal for my BBS is to
Pa> offer the most active 8/16bit echo's/nets I can find so users can
Pa> connect with others all in one place.

It doesn't. It's a Synchronet BBS - Windows-heavy by the looks of things.

That sounds like a good goal - anything that helps people keep using their 8/16
bit hardware.

My personal goal is to help re-build something like an 'offline network', of
people who want to use their machines without recourse to the net. To be fully
immersed in their computing experience, without the pull and distraction of
forum posts, endless options for ADF or 'ROM' downloads etc. etc. I see this
loose network being based on dial-up bulletin boards (VoIP problems with this
recognised), disk magazines, support of physical magazines, swapping software
(legally) through the post. Essentially, pre-internet 1980s and 1990s
computing.

It's my hypothesis that such a computer experience could be a richer one..and
that the 'magic' of computing in the 80s and 90s had something to do with the
slower, more deliberate pace of computing (not in terms of CPU, but in terms of
waiting for a new (paper or disk) magazine each month, or waiting for a PD
library to send you a disk through the post), and the fewer options of things
we /could/ do on the computer (unless we created it ourselves).

I suspect it would only realistically work, if it would work at all, if people
severely reduced their general internet consumption. Otherwise why bother. And
plus, people's brains probably won't have the concentration spans and patience
of old required, if they haven't re-wired from constantly refreshing
Facebook/Amiga.org in the background.

Not sure if anyone else will agree however! Your goal sounds a lot more
realistic! :)

* Q-Blue 2.4 *
PalKat
2019-10-27 04:53:26 UTC
On 26 Oct 2019, Simon Geddes said the following...

SG> Not sure if anyone else will agree however! Your goal sounds a lot more
SG> realistic! :)

Totally get and agree with you...though our goals are accessed in different
ways they are similar! For this is exciting to know there are others that are
wanting to share in a similar goal!
Spitfire
2019-10-25 23:15:55 UTC
I myself try to get people off Facebook and Twitter and such and call a
BBS. My BBS is running the classic C-Net Amia Pro and offers several networks.
CommodoreNet and AmigaNet are just two of them that focus on the Retro
Computers. Then there is RetroNet. Gotta love it!

-=] Spitfire - Reign of Fire BBS: rofbbs.cnetbbs.net:2300 (931)/494-9100 [=-
Simon Geddes
2019-10-25 23:08:12 UTC
Re: Re: The Amiga echo...
By: Spitfire to All on Sat Oct 26 2019 12:15 pm
call a BBS. My BBS is running the classic C-Net Amia Pro and offers several
networks.
CommodoreNet and AmigaNet are just two of them that focus on the Retro
Computers. Then there is RetroNet. Gotta love it!
And looking at your sig, I can see you offer dial-up. I have to put my money
where my mouth is - I'll give you a (trans-atlantic) call.
Andreas Kohlbach
2019-10-27 18:50:23 UTC
Post by Simon Geddes
Re: Re: The Amiga echo...
By: Spitfire to All on Sat Oct 26 2019 12:15 pm
call a BBS. My BBS is running the classic C-Net Amia Pro and offers several
networks.
CommodoreNet and AmigaNet are just two of them that focus on the Retro
Computers. Then there is RetroNet. Gotta love it!
And looking at your sig, I can see you offer dial-up. I have to put my money
where my mouth is - I'll give you a (trans-atlantic) call.
I just used telnet not owning a phone.
--
Andreas

My random thoughts and comments
https://news-commentaries.blogspot.com/
Mike Powell
2019-10-26 05:15:00 UTC
Post by Spitfire
I myself try to get people off Facebook and Twitter and such and call
BBS. My BBS is running the classic C-Net Amia Pro and offers several networks.
CommodoreNet and AmigaNet are just two of them that focus on the Retro
Computers. Then there is RetroNet. Gotta love it!
In my case, I don't have Twitter and try to stay off of FB as much as
possible. I am much more likely to be reading an offline mail packet from
my BBS. :)

Mike

---
* SLMR 2.1a * She cried away her life since she fell off the cradle!!
Daniel
2019-11-21 13:14:59 UTC
Re: The Amiga echo...
By: Simon Geddes to All on Mon Oct 21 2019 12:34 pm

You know, I figured the same thing. I notice, however, IRC has a vibrant
community on the amiga channel. You may get a good idea from the people there
about a presence on fidonet.

I spoke to afew of them the other day, it turns out.
Daniel Traechin
Gary McCulloch
2019-11-22 07:57:59 UTC
On Fri 22-Nov-2019 2:14a, ***@1:340/7.0 said to Simon Geddes:
D> You know, I figured the same thing. I notice, however, IRC has a vibrant
D> community on the amiga channel. You may get a good idea from the people
D> there
D> about a presence on fidonet.

Whats the IRC channel for that? I just pop in the #C-Net echo on
irc.crimson.net

/ JoinLink - AmigaNet - ArakNet - C=Net - FidoNet - RetroNet.
/ Multi-Terminal Support: ANSI Ascii & Skypix! 40/80 Columns.
Daniel
2020-01-01 12:07:50 UTC
Re: Re: The Amiga echo...
By: Gary McCulloch to Daniel on Fri Nov 22 2019 08:57 pm

there's also ##amiga, #amiga, #amiga-ie, and a variety of others not so
populated.

Daniel Traechin
Daniel
2020-01-01 12:06:46 UTC
Post by Gary McCulloch
Whats the IRC channel for that? I just pop in the #C-Net echo on
irc.crimson.net
Visit freenode.net irc server. Add #c64, ##6502, #TGOD, ##asm (assembly
programming). Those are the ones I autojoin on all irc clients in my posession.
Daniel Traechin
Gary McCulloch
2020-01-01 19:30:39 UTC

On Thu 2-Jan-2020 1:07a, ***@1:340/7.0 said to Gary McCulloch:
D> there's also ##amiga, #amiga, #amiga-ie, and a variety of others not so
D> populated.

I will have to keep all these in mind. Any IRC Commodore channel has
to be worth having on the list.

-Spitfire Inc presents 2 Unique Systems...

Reign of Fire II BBS
C-Net DS-2 v2.6 - rof.cnet64.com:6400
Reign of Fire BBS
C-Net Amiga Pro v5.21c - rofbbs.cnetbbs.net:2300 - 931-494-9100
* C-Net/5