The C64 Mini
Add Reply
Shaun Bebbington
2018-04-03 09:00:10 UTC
Hi,

I've got one of these devices; it's alright. One thing I like about it is that my daughter likes programming it, and making PETSCII art with it.

I've had to buy a USB hub to run a pen drive and keyboard at the same time, and I've found that AC adaptors running at 2amp is best for multiple devices like this.

A shame I can't licence JiffyDOS on it to help with the emulated drive speeds.
Geo
2018-04-03 10:54:51 UTC
To: Shaun Bebbington
Re: The C64 Mini
By: Shaun Bebbington to comp.sys.cbm on Tue Apr 03 2018 02:00:10
From Newsgroup: comp.sys.cbm
Hi,
I've got one of these devices; it's alright. One thing I like about it is
that my daughter likes programming it, and making PETSCII art with it.
I've had to buy a USB hub to run a pen drive and keyboard at the same time,
and I've found that AC adaptors running at 2amp is best for multiple devices
like this.
A shame I can't licence JiffyDOS on it to help with the emulated drive
speeds. --- Synchronet 3.17a-Linux NewsLink 1.108
I was pretty disappointed to see that the KBD is not real, but then again at
that size I guess it would have less usable that even a Spectrum 8-)

It would be good if it was possible to created the equivalent of multicart
images for it. 8-)

I'm thinking about getting an Ultimate 64 board instead! 8-)

Regards..Geo
ooooOOOOoooo
--- Synchronet 3.17a-Linux NewsLink 1.108
* The Dungeon - Canberra, ACT, Australia - telnet://dungeon.barnabasmusic.com
Shaun Bebbington
2018-04-03 11:50:25 UTC
Post by Geo
To: Shaun Bebbington
Re: The C64 Mini
By: Shaun Bebbington to comp.sys.cbm on Tue Apr 03 2018 02:00:10
From Newsgroup: comp.sys.cbm
[...]
Hello,

I was wondering if there is somewhere a device to convert a C128D and C64SX keyboard to USB. If this is possible then it would make for a beautiful addition to my C64Mini :-)

Anyone?

Thanks!
Shaun Bebbington
Another thought: the joystick bundled with TheC64Mini is recognised in Windows - is there a way to use this with WinVICE or something?
Keith Matthews
2018-04-03 10:31:55 UTC
Re: Re: The C64 Mini
By: Shaun Bebbington to Shaun Bebbington on Tue Apr 03 2018 04:51:53
Post by Shaun Bebbington
Post by Shaun Bebbington
Post by Geo
To: Shaun Bebbington
Re: The C64 Mini
By: Shaun Bebbington to comp.sys.cbm on Tue Apr 03 2018 02:00:10
From Newsgroup: comp.sys.cbm
Post by Shaun Bebbington
Post by Geo
like this.
A shame I can't licence JiffyDOS on it to help with the emulated
drive speeds. --- Synchronet 3.17a-Linux NewsLink 1.108
Post by Shaun Bebbington
Anyone?
Thanks!
Another thought: the joystick bundled with TheC64Mini is recognised in
Windows - is there a way to use this with WinVICE or something?
So it's a USB Joystick?

Regards..Geo
ooooOOOOoooo
Shaun Bebbington
2018-04-03 13:19:48 UTC
Post by Shaun Bebbington
Post by Shaun Bebbington
Post by Geo
To: Shaun Bebbington
Re: The C64 Mini
By: Shaun Bebbington to comp.sys.cbm on Tue Apr 03 2018 02:00:10
From Newsgroup: comp.sys.cbm
Post by Shaun Bebbington
Anyone?
Thanks!
Another thought: the joystick bundled with TheC64Mini is recognised in
Windows - is there a way to use this with WinVICE or something?
So it's a USB Joystick?
Regards..Geo
ooooOOOOoooo
Yes - it is picked up on Windows. The C64Mini only has two connectors to the outside world in the form of a USB. That is all. But I have extended it with a USB hub. This works fine as long as the AC adaptor is >1.5 amp.

Thanks,

Shaun.
Shaun Bebbington
2018-04-03 15:48:56 UTC
I'm going to see if I can get GEOS to boot on the Mini at some point. Because GEOS.

Regards,

Shaun.
Keith Matthews
2018-04-03 10:30:56 UTC
Re: Re: The C64 Mini
By: Shaun Bebbington to Geo on Tue Apr 03 2018 04:50:25
Post by Shaun Bebbington
Post by Geo
To: Shaun Bebbington
Re: The C64 Mini
By: Shaun Bebbington to comp.sys.cbm on Tue Apr 03 2018 02:00:10
From Newsgroup: comp.sys.cbm
Post by Geo
[...]
I don't think it is likely.

There is the Keyrah, but I think the does the opposite direction?

Regards..Geo
ooooOOOOoooo
j***@googlemail.com
2019-06-02 20:01:54 UTC
I know its an old thread but the keyrah let's you use a real commodore keyboard as a USB keyboard for either normal pc use or emulation.
Andreas Kohlbach
2018-04-03 21:30:25 UTC
Post by Geo
To: Shaun Bebbington
Re: The C64 Mini
By: Shaun Bebbington to comp.sys.cbm on Tue Apr 03 2018 02:00:10
From Newsgroup: comp.sys.cbm
Hi,
I've got one of these devices; it's alright. One thing I like about it is
that my daughter likes programming it, and making PETSCII art with it.
I've had to buy a USB hub to run a pen drive and keyboard at the same time,
and I've found that AC adaptors running at 2amp is best for multiple devices
like this.
A shame I can't licence JiffyDOS on it to help with the emulated drive
speeds. --- Synchronet 3.17a-Linux NewsLink 1.108
I was pretty disappointed to see that the KBD is not real, but then again at
that size I guess it would have less usable that even a Spectrum 8-)
The 8bitguy reviewed it on Youtube. And when he asked the company
producing it they said if the C64 Mini is a success they will create one
with a real keyboard in the future.

[...]
Post by Geo
I'm thinking about getting an Ultimate 64 board instead! 8-)
Although I am retro too I would not go with any of these. In my opinion
they are just an emulator with a modern CPU (usually ARM), running on
Linux in a fancy box. And like in the case of the C64 Mini not even have
a functioning keyboard.

You can go then with any emulator, like VICE, running it on your modern
PC.

It would be okay for me though if someone recreated the main board,
mounted a 6510, VIC II and SID (I heard they are hard to come by). And
may be some logic to output a HDMI signal and have USB connector to
connect a keyboard and joystick.
--
Andreas

My random toughts and comments
https://news-commentaries.blogspot.com/
Keith Matthews
2018-04-04 00:48:10 UTC
Re: Re: The C64 Mini
By: Andreas Kohlbach to Geo on Tue Apr 03 2018 17:30:25
Post by Shaun Bebbington
Post by Geo
To: Shaun Bebbington
Re: The C64 Mini
By: Shaun Bebbington to comp.sys.cbm on Tue Apr 03 2018 02:00:10
From Newsgroup: comp.sys.cbm
Post by Geo
I'm thinking about getting an Ultimate 64 board instead! 8-)
Although I am retro too I would not go with any of these. In my opinion
they are just an emulator with a modern CPU (usually ARM), running on
Linux in a fancy box. And like in the case of the C64 Mini not even have
a functioning keyboard.
You can go then with any emulator, like VICE, running it on your modern
PC.
It would be okay for me though if someone recreated the main board,
mounted a 6510, VIC II and SID (I heard they are hard to come by). And
may be some logic to output a HDMI signal and have USB connector to
connect a keyboard and joystick.
--
Andreas
My random toughts and comments
https://news-commentaries.blogspot.com/
Hi Andreas,

The Ultimate 64 is pretty much what you describe. it is not emulation because
it is FPGA which is real H/W. Gideons intent for it is as a replacement board
for broken C64 motherboards, so you can still have a real C64 case and Kbd etc
, but with modern motherboard.

There are other people working on C64 motherboard replacements that you do
actually just swap chips on, but unfortunatly, it is more often thatn not the
PLA that dies, and they are impossible to obtain. Hence FPGA. 8-)

Regards..Geo
ooooOOOOoooo
Shaun Bebbington
2018-04-04 06:16:41 UTC
Post by Shaun Bebbington
Post by Geo
To: Shaun Bebbington
Re: The C64 Mini
By: Shaun Bebbington to comp.sys.cbm on Tue Apr 03 2018 02:00:10
From Newsgroup: comp.sys.cbm
Post by Geo
[...]
I was wondering how the Ultimate64 was Linux, hoping that I could run Apache on it as well as using it as a C64. That would be cool; a server that *looked* like a Commodore C64. I am now disappointed that it doesn't run Linux. It's a cool piece of kit though.

Regards,

Shaun.
Keith Matthews
2018-04-04 05:32:47 UTC
Re: Re: The C64 Mini
By: Shaun Bebbington to Keith Matthews on Tue Apr 03 2018 23:16:41
Post by Shaun Bebbington
Post by Geo
To: Shaun Bebbington
Re: The C64 Mini
By: Shaun Bebbington to comp.sys.cbm on Tue Apr 03 2018 02:00:10
From Newsgroup: comp.sys.cbm
Post by Keith Matthews
Post by Keith Matthews
Post by Keith Matthews
Post by Keith Matthews
, but with modern motherboard.
There are other people working on C64 motherboard replacements that you do
actually just swap chips on, but unfortunatly, it is more often thatn not
the PLA that dies, and they are impossible to obtain. Hence FPGA. 8-)
Regards..Geo
ooooOOOOoooo
I was wondering how the Ultimate64 was Linux, hoping that I could run Apache
on
it as well as using it as a C64. That would be cool; a server that *looked*
like a Commodore C64. I am now disappointed that it doesn't run Linux. It's
a cool piece of kit
though.
Regards,
Shaun.
Shaun thats easy,

http://www.vesalia.de/e_keyrahv2.htm

plus

Raspberry Pi

Plus

old C64 case from C64 with a dead motherbard. 8-)

Regards..Geo
ooooOOOOoooo
Shaun Bebbington
2018-04-04 15:58:06 UTC
Post by Shaun Bebbington
Post by Geo
To: Shaun Bebbington
Re: The C64 Mini
By: Shaun Bebbington to comp.sys.cbm on Tue Apr 03 2018 02:00:10
From Newsgroup: comp.sys.cbm
Post by Keith Matthews
Post by Keith Matthews
Post by Keith Matthews
Post by Keith Matthews
[...]
I don't need the Raspberry PI as I already own a TheC64Mini - a shame it won't covert a SX64 keyboard. That would be cool.

Regards,

Shaun.
s***@cruise.co.uk
2018-04-06 15:53:53 UTC
Question; Darren Melbourne (who is involved with TheC64Mini) had something to do with making the C64DTV a real-life thing. Does this mean that TheC64Mini is running some form of DTV emulation? Or is it normal Commodore C64 that is emulated?

Many thanks!
Andreas Kohlbach
2018-04-06 19:29:16 UTC
Post by s***@cruise.co.uk
Question; Darren Melbourne (who is involved with TheC64Mini) had
something to do with making the C64DTV a real-life thing. Does this
mean that TheC64Mini is running some form of DTV emulation? Or is it
normal Commodore C64 that is emulated?
A normal C64 is emulated as far as I know. Pretty boring, IMO.
--
Andreas

http://news-commentaries.blogspot.com/2018/04/retro-consoles.html
Shaun Bebbington
2018-04-07 07:11:01 UTC
Post by Andreas Kohlbach
Post by s***@cruise.co.uk
Question; Darren Melbourne (who is involved with TheC64Mini) had
something to do with making the C64DTV a real-life thing. Does this
mean that TheC64Mini is running some form of DTV emulation? Or is it
normal Commodore C64 that is emulated?
A normal C64 is emulated as far as I know. Pretty boring, IMO.
--
Andreas
http://news-commentaries.blogspot.com/2018/04/retro-consoles.html
I asked the question on the TheC64Mini Facebook group - a future update may allow the enhanced VIC modes of the C64DTV for instance.

I'd be interested in being able to purchase an officially licensed JiffyDOS ROM for it, for instance.

Regards,

Shaun.
J. Robertson

Jason
Andreas Kohlbach
2018-04-14 20:26:13 UTC
Post by Andreas Kohlbach
Post by s***@cruise.co.uk
Question; Darren Melbourne (who is involved with TheC64Mini) had
something to do with making the C64DTV a real-life thing. Does this
mean that TheC64Mini is running some form of DTV emulation? Or is it
normal Commodore C64 that is emulated?
A normal C64 is emulated as far as I know. Pretty boring, IMO.
From what I've read it runs a version of the VICE emulator.
As I said in
http://news-commentaries.blogspot.com/2018/04/retro-consoles.html,
Emulation is cheating. You don't need a "Retro console" if you want to
run vintage programs for any machine. Save your money and run a software
emulator available for you PC/Mac.

If you need something looking like a vintage computer, do some 3D
printing, and put a Retropie or other boards in it.

Jordan Baty
Interesting to hear this. I'm working on a micro-sized IBM 5150 PC with a fully functional monitor and keyboard (Raspberry Pi Zero powered, running DOSBOX), but I was considering making the keyboard a static piece of plastic as it's basically impossible to use.
Keith Matthews
2018-04-07 04:27:21 UTC
Re: Re: The C64 Mini
By: Jordan Baty to Geo on Fri Apr 06 2018 21:17:42
Post by Shaun Bebbington
Post by Geo
To: Shaun Bebbington
Re: The C64 Mini
By: Shaun Bebbington to comp.sys.cbm on Tue Apr 03 2018 02:00:10
From Newsgroup: comp.sys.cbm
Post by Geo
[...]
Remember Jordan, we had to put up with some truly awful keyboards back in the
day! So it might not be as bad as you think 8-)

Regards..Geo
ooooOOOOoooo
Shaun Bebbington
2018-04-03 22:23:11 UTC