Thought?
Charles Gutman
2018-11-27 06:06:39 UTC
First off, Please forgive me if I'm raining on someone's parade, stepping on toes, whatever, but a thought just occurred to me regarding something I'd like to have for the C=
Has anyone manufactured a Wi-Fi printer adapter for the commie yet? I have a very nice Wi-Fi laser printer that I want to run GEOS on.
I tried a search but only found modems and I already have them.

Thanks so much

Charles
Andreas Kohlbach
2018-11-27 22:07:14 UTC
Post by Charles Gutman
First off, Please forgive me if I'm raining on someone's parade,
stepping on toes, whatever, but a thought just occurred to me
regarding something I'd like to have for the C=
Has anyone manufactured a Wi-Fi printer adapter for the commie yet? I
have a very nice Wi-Fi laser printer that I want to run GEOS on.
I tried a search but only found modems and I already have them.
I found some videos on Youtube people connecting a C64 to the internet
with WIFI. Google for it (commodore 64 wifi).

One even carried his breadbox to a Starbucks to have a latte. :-)

No idea though if you can go from there to connect to a WIFI enabled
printer.
--
Andreas

My random thoughts and comments
https://news-commentaries.blogspot.com/
Computer Nerd Kev
2018-11-28 21:26:46 UTC
Post by Charles Gutman
First off, Please forgive me if I'm raining on someone's parade,
stepping on toes, whatever, but a thought just occurred to me
regarding something I'd like to have for the C=
Has anyone manufactured a Wi-Fi printer adapter for the commie yet?
I have a very nice Wi-Fi laser printer that I want to run GEOS on.
I tried a search but only found modems and I already have them.
The modems will be the tool for the job, either with WiFi themselves,
or connected to a wifi router. WiFi printers connect over networking
just the same as is required for internet access. The difficulty will
be with the software. If your laser printer really is a good one, it
might support postscript printing, which is a format that's
standardised (unlike the printer-specific proprietary formats that
inkjet printers and home/cheap-office laser printers use). That
shouldn't need anything fancy like compression, so a C64 would
be able to do it with some custom software and an existing
ethernet/WiFi adapter.

Or you could rig up something like a Raspberry Pi Zero W with
a hardware interface and emulator software so that it connects
to the C64 in place of an original Commodore printer,
converting all the output from the C64 to a format that can
be sent through the normal Linux printing dirvers. Then the
Pi would use it's own built-in WiFi. The advantage with that
would be that it would work with printing functions in
existing Commodore software, and you could use all the PETSCII
characters (converted to an image for the modern printer using
the Pi).
--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#
Bo Zimmerman
2019-01-11 19:32:56 UTC
Post by Charles Gutman
First off, Please forgive me if I'm raining on someone's parade, stepping on toes, whatever, but a thought just occurred to me regarding something I'd like to have for the C=
Has anyone manufactured a Wi-Fi printer adapter for the commie yet? I have a very nice Wi-Fi laser printer that I want to run GEOS on.
I tried a search but only found modems and I already have them.
Thanks so much
Charles
I desperately want this also, and for the same reason. I've been trying
to head in the direction of adding CURL support to my WiFi modem
firmware, since that gets around having to support thousands of printer
drivers, but I hit a wall when i discovered that my printer isn't really
supported by the linux community. :(

- Bo
Rob Swindell
2019-01-11 02:13:25 UTC