LUnix on the Commodore 64
Andreas Kohlbach
2020-01-02 16:18:07 UTC
I don't own a Commodore 64 anymore. Recently I looked up if it's possible
to run Linux on a C64. Amazingly there is a UNIX-like OS called
LUnix. Since I don't own hardware I used the VICE emulator. But it fails,
see settings for IDE64 and kernel panic at

A Youtuber had it running on VICE but he's not responding to my comments
there. Anyone got LUnix running in VICE?

X'post comp.sys.cbm and comp.emulators.cbm and f'up2 comp.emulators.cbm.
--
Andreas

My random thoughts and comments
https://news-commentaries.blogspot.com/
Tom Lake
2020-01-03 01:08:20 UTC
http://ankman.de/ide_menue.png
http://ankman.de/lunix_kernel_panic.png
A Youtuber had it running on VICE but he's not responding to my comments
there. Anyone got LUnix running in VICE?
X'post comp.sys.cbm and comp.emulators.cbm and f'up2 comp.emulators.cbm.
--
Andreas
My random thoughts and comments
https://news-commentaries.blogspot.com/
I built my own copy of 2.1 from source and it works fine. IDE64 is commented out by default in the config.h file.

Tom L
Andreas Kohlbach
2020-01-03 16:07:07 UTC
Post by Tom Lake
Post by Andreas Kohlbach
I don't own a Commodore 64 anymore. Recently I looked up if it's possible
to run Linux on a C64. Amazingly there is a UNIX-like OS called
LUnix. Since I don't own hardware I used the VICE emulator. But it fails,
see settings for IDE64 and kernel panic at
http://ankman.de/ide_menue.png
http://ankman.de/lunix_kernel_panic.png
A Youtuber had it running on VICE but he's not responding to my comments
there. Anyone got LUnix running in VICE?
X'post comp.sys.cbm and comp.emulators.cbm and f'up2 comp.emulators.cbm.
--
Andreas
My random thoughts and comments
https://news-commentaries.blogspot.com/
I built my own copy of 2.1 from source and it works fine. IDE64 is commented out by default in the config.h file.
Tom L
Would you email me that please?
Andreas
Charles Stephenson
2020-01-04 18:44:01 UTC
On Jan 4th 8:12 pm Andreas Kohlbach said...
AK> XPost: comp.emulators.cbm
AK>
AK> I don't own a Commodore 64 anymore. Recently I looked up if it's possible
AK> to run Linux on a C64. Amazingly there is a UNIX-like OS called LUnix.
AK> Since I don't own hardware I used the VICE emulator. But it fails, see
AK> settings for IDE64 and kernel panic at

I'm kinda confussed. Are you trying to run a C64 emulator under Linux? or run a
C64 emulator under windows, and the emulator runs linux?

There's Amiga Forever, it has emulation for the C's and Amigas. I've been
playing with it. It's pretty simple
Andreas Kohlbach
2020-01-05 15:48:59 UTC
Post by Charles Stephenson
On Jan 4th 8:12 pm Andreas Kohlbach said...
AK> XPost: comp.emulators.cbm
AK>
AK> I don't own a Commodore 64 anymore. Recently I looked up if it's possible
AK> to run Linux on a C64. Amazingly there is a UNIX-like OS called LUnix.
AK> Since I don't own hardware I used the VICE emulator. But it fails, see
AK> settings for IDE64 and kernel panic at

I'm kinda confussed. Are you trying to run a C64 emulator under Linux? or run a
C64 emulator under windows, and the emulator runs linux?
To confuse you and others even more: none of this. I try to run LUnix,
which is a UNIX-like operating system naively on a Commodore64. But
since I don't own a real C64, I emulate it with VICE. So I want to run a
Commodore 64 emulator (VICE, that already works) and in that emulated
Commodore 64 emulator LUnix.
Post by Charles Stephenson
There's Amiga Forever, it has emulation for the C's and Amigas. I've been
playing with it. It's pretty simple
I use UAE when it comes to the Amiga. But my question has nothing to do
with the Amiga. But am now interested to emulate a C64 inside an Amiga,
which is also an emulation. I might even find something to emulate in the
emulated C64. ;-)

Dave Drum
2020-01-05 22:20:56 UTC
-=> Andreas Kohlbach wrote to Charles Stephenson <=-
Post by Charles Stephenson
There's Amiga Forever, it has emulation for the C's and Amigas. I've been
playing with it. It's pretty simple
AK> I use UAE when it comes to the Amiga. But my question has nothing to do
AK> with the Amiga. But am now interested to emulate a C64 inside an Amiga,
AK> which is also an emulation. I might even find something to emulate in
AK> the emulated C64. ;-)

I've been sort of following along with this (leaping from lurker mode)
and it begins to look ...

"Like a circle in a spiral
Like a wheel within a wheel,
Never ending or beginning,
On an ever-spinning reel

Whirling silently in space
Like the circles that you find
In the windmills of your mind!"

-- Alan & Marilyn Bergman (1968)

But hang in there it's wild goose chases like this that sometimes yield
amazing discoveries.

... The Amiga Trinity: Dave Haynie, Jay Miner, Fred Fish