Musicalc 1983
Terry Raymond
2019-02-18 02:33:44 UTC
Hi all,

I received tons of .D64 images of older C64 midi Software.
Right now Im trying out Musicalc written by Waveform in 1983.

I tried booting from the image no go it loads about halfway and just stops
and I thought that Musicalc may be copy protected because some copy protection checks and if a copy will probably stop, etc.

I checked Fast Hackem and Maverick parameters and they don't even list anything under Musicalc, nothing. (parms).

Would anyone know anything about Waveform protection or a way to try editing disk sectors etc?

Again I don't have the original of this its just a .d64 image, and BTW
I use CBM Command to write the disk image back to a real 1541 formatted disk.

I do have the Maverick V5.4 with a good disk editor if anybody knows how to edit Waveform protection (For my own backups only). :D

Musicalc has a timer that takes around 2 minutes to load with this .d64 image it only gets as far as 1min 40 seconds and it just stops completely.
I recognize this as being protected because some protection if it detects the disk is a copy then it will do this and stops like a mule.

Would a disk scan help anybody to determine what is going on?

When it comes though to disk editors I dunno Im willing to try though, of course I have the original .d64 and can make another floppy of this, or just use a copy of course if I goof it up, etc.

Terry Raymond
J.B. Wood
2019-02-19 11:42:25 UTC
Post by Terry Raymond
Hi all,
I received tons of .D64 images of older C64 midi Software.
Right now Im trying out Musicalc written by Waveform in 1983.
I tried booting from the image no go it loads about halfway and just stops
and I thought that Musicalc may be copy protected because some copy protection checks and if a copy will probably stop, etc.
I checked Fast Hackem and Maverick parameters and they don't even list anything under Musicalc, nothing. (parms).
Hello, and I'm probably not going to be of much assistance. I do have
both of those copy programs you mentioned but not the original or a tame
copy of Musicalc. Given the 1983 date if disk copy protection was being
used it most likely was via placement of specific errors on one or more
of the release disk tracks. If the .D64 image really is a snapshot of
the original disk and you successfully restored it to its original 1541
form, then you have to find where those error track reads are, what
errors are expected for a successful load, and use Maverick (or even an
old one like The Clone Machine) to recreate the errors. Is Musicalc in
BASIC or machine language (ML). An ML monitor may be useful for
tracking down where the 1541 error tracks are being read. Probably
stated the obvious here but best of luck. Sincerely,
J. B. Wood e-mail: ***@hotmail.com
Thierry64
2019-03-22 21:15:17 UTC
On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 18:33:44 -0800 (PST), Terry Raymond
<***@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi there ! , its posible to share the images , im test it in real
hardware and real floppy 1541 I and II , upload to mediafire? thanks !

best regards

Thierry
Terry Raymond
J.B. Wood
2019-03-25 10:20:04 UTC
Post by Thierry64
On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 18:33:44 -0800 (PST), Terry Raymond
Hi there ! , its posible to share the images , im test it in real
hardware and real floppy 1541 I and II , upload to mediafire? thanks !
best regards
Thierry
Hello, and I certainly don't won't to insult your intelligence but when
you tried to load Musicalc did you have a MIDI interface hooked up to
the C64? Perhaps the load is halting because an interface isn't
available? Sincerely,
--
J. B. Wood e-mail: ***@hotmail.com