cc64 compiler under development again
Philip Zembrod
2020-05-21 13:28:36 UTC
Hi all,

I figured now is a reasonable time to let you know that I have picked up an age-old project of mine again - the C64-hosted Small C compiler cc64, written in Forth.

Its versions 0.4, uploaded to ccnga.uwaterloo.edu in 1995, seems to have managed to stick around in a few lists of languages/compilers for the C64, despite it still having some serious bugs.

I had written the thing during my university years, and after graduation both a breakdown of my C64, and getting busy with entering the workforce conspired to abort further development.

It has been a lingering dream/ambition of mine since then to some day pick it up again and finish it, for some value of finish. And after getting an unexpected ping about cc64 last summer, I found that I now have the time and opportunity, and started to play around with it again.

So far it's been mostly about stabilizing things: collect and merge sources from back then (turned out I had unintentionally forked the sources at some point), move things to an emulator and get enough tooling in place for a sane automated build and test process, write the first set of tests, and fix the first bugs I found. This includes the static vars linking bug.

I don't consider it in any way done yet (e.g. forward references of functions is still broken - next bug on my list), but I still feel I should slowly expose it to a few more eyes.

For all who would like to take a look, this is where it lives: https://github.com/pzembrod/cc64

Cheers
/Philip
Philip Zembrod
2020-05-22 08:03:19 UTC
Update: I got this one fixed yesterday.
Harry Potter
2020-05-22 16:31:14 UTC
I'm interested How do I download the binaries?
Philip Zembrod
2020-05-22 18:09:56 UTC
Just grab the entire v05/c64files directory: https://github.com/pzembrod/cc64/tree/master/v05/c64files

I should add that to the Usage.md file.
Harry Potter
2020-05-22 18:42:09 UTC
How do I do that without downloading one file at a time? Or do I *have* to grab one file at a time?
Philip Zembrod
2020-05-22 19:46:41 UTC
Post by Harry Potter
Post by Philip Zembrod
Just grab the entire v05/c64files directory: https://github.com/pzembrod/cc64/tree/master/v05/c64files
How do I do that without downloading one file at a time? Or do I *have* to grab one file at a time?
Got it, sorry about that. I just added a make rule for a zip file.
Now you can just grab v05/c64files.zip
Harry Potter
2020-05-23 15:20:13 UTC
I downloaded the disk image.Thank you.. :)
xlar54
2020-05-28 16:55:51 UTC
Nice to see continued development on this project. Will keep an eye on it