Commodore 128 Dual Screen Game (Ahoy Magazine?)
a***@whitemice.org
2018-12-23 00:19:03 UTC
I have a brain worm that's been bugging me - and Internet searching has not been able to resolve it.

What was the Commodore 128 specific game, I believe published in Ahoy magazine, which was a dual-screen two-player adventure? About the only use of the C-128's dual-screen capability that I ever say.

Anyone have a recollection of that?
ArcadeAge
2018-12-23 11:04:12 UTC
Post by a***@whitemice.org
I have a brain worm that's been bugging me - and Internet searching has not been able to resolve it.
What was the Commodore 128 specific game, I believe published in Ahoy magazine, which was a dual-screen two-player adventure? About the only use of the C-128's dual-screen capability that I ever say.
Anyone have a recollection of that?
Can't serve with recollections, but being somewhat found of hunting down what seems impossible to find, I'd like to ask you to be more specific about what type of game it is you remember.
I am aware that most people don't bother to make a distinction between adventure games on the one hand and role-playing games on the other. I do: An adventure game is anything ranging from interactive fiction (books that you can play) to Lucasfilm/Sierra-style point&click games. The emphasis is on riddles and puzzles you have to solve, plus (often) some good humour in documentation and on-screen texts.
A role-playing game usually consists in a group ("party") of characters on one or more quests to explore unknown territories, the individual characters being incarnations of (mostly) mythical figures like wizards, elves, druids, knights or dwarves, their identities being defined by a set of numerically represented strengths and weaknesses, subject to change during play, like health points or experience points. The emphasis is on fighting enemies that appear more or less at random, the fights themselves generally involving an element of chance as well.
There are, of course, games with characteristics from both categories, Maniac Mansion being on of them: Select two other kids, do physical exercise for strength, etc.
By a quick internet search, I learned about a German adventure game called "Das Schwert Skar". I haven't tried it yet, but it is reported to display graphics on a 40-column (VIC-II) screen while the 80-column (VDC) screen is used for text output (some people would say "and for text input as well", but what they'd mean by that was actually just the feedback of what you type in via the keyboard).

On a sad note, my internet search also got me informed that John Molloy has died. He was involved with the development of several Magnetic Scrolls adventure games.
Dropnine
2019-03-27 14:54:30 UTC
Post by a***@whitemice.org
I have a brain worm that's been bugging me - and Internet searching has not been able to resolve it.
What was the Commodore 128 specific game, I believe published in Ahoy magazine, which was a dual-screen two-player adventure? About the only use of the C-128's dual-screen capability that I ever say.
Anyone have a recollection of that?
I remember typing that in in the late 80's lol Fun game :) Cleveland M. Blakemore: Dark Fortress. Ahoy Issue 37.

https://archive.org/details/ahoy-magazine-37/page/n101
a***@whitemice.org
2019-03-28 14:08:17 UTC
That is definitely the one. One of a very short list of software which
found ways to take advantage of the C128's unique architecture.

Thanks.
Dropnine
2019-04-01 16:26:17 UTC
Post by a***@whitemice.org
That is definitely the one. One of a very short list of software which
found ways to take advantage of the C128's unique architecture.
Thanks.
Cheers :)

r***@iglou.com
2019-03-29 01:37:01 UTC
Post by Dropnine
I remember typing that in in the late 80's lol Fun game :) Cleveland M. Blakemore: Dark Fortress. Ahoy Issue 37.
Vault of Terror is on a .D64 at

https://web.archive.org/web/20150416055403/http://members.shaw.ca/cue64/ahoycleve.html

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
April 27-28 Commodore Los Angeles Super Show - http://www.portcommodore.com/class
June 8-9 Pacific Commodore Expo NW - http://www.portcommodore.com/pacommex
August 10-11 Commodore Vegas Expo v15 - http://www.portcommodore.com/commvex
Harry Potter
2019-03-31 13:41:26 UTC
I downloaded the disk images and found that they were broken: They were each 11k, and DirMaster only gave me "0 BLOCKS FREE."
Dropnine
2019-04-04 14:14:01 UTC
Post by Harry Potter
I downloaded the disk images and found that they were broken: They were each 11k, and DirMaster only gave me "0 BLOCKS FREE."
It works fine for me. The Dark Fortress from Jan/87 is on CBAHOY8A.D64 image. run"dark fortress" from drive 8 works fine.

Cheers,