Commodore History Book Recommendation
Jeffrey Brace
2020-09-27 18:58:57 UTC
Hello everyone,

I am looking for suggestions on books about Commodore history. I already know about Brian Bagnell's books (Commodore: On The Edge), but unfortunately his book is hard to find these days and seems out of print.

Does anyone have an alternative suggestion?

Thanks!

Jeff Brae
Andreas Kohlbach
2020-09-28 22:32:30 UTC
Post by Jeffrey Brace
Hello everyone,
I am looking for suggestions on books about Commodore history. I
already know about Brian Bagnell's books (Commodore: On The Edge), but
unfortunately his book is hard to find these days and seems out of
print.
Does anyone have an alternative suggestion?
Wikipedia has a page covering Commodore.
--
Andreas

PGP fingerprint 952B0A9F12C2FD6C9F7E68DAA9C2EA89D1A370E0
Computer Nerd Kev
2020-09-29 22:20:13 UTC
Post by Jeffrey Brace
Hello everyone,
I am looking for suggestions on books about Commodore history. I
already know about Brian Bagnell's books (Commodore: On The Edge),
but unfortunately his book is hard to find these days and seems
out of print.
Does anyone have an alternative suggestion?
"The Home Computer Wars" by Michael S. Tomczyk. "An insider's account
of Commodore and Jack Tramiel".

It's downloadable from DLH's Commodore archive:
http://69.60.118.202/generic/generic-books.htm

Or alternatively I don't think I paid very much for a second-hand
copy.
--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#
Daniel
2021-01-30 06:40:51 UTC
Post by Jeffrey Brace
Hello everyone,
I am looking for suggestions on books about Commodore history. I
already know about Brian Bagnell's books (Commodore: On The Edge), but
unfortunately his book is hard to find these days and seems out of
print.
Does anyone have an alternative suggestion?
Thanks!
Jeff Brae
I've only read history on sites like c64-wiki.com. The 8-bit guy on
youtube did a multi-part documentary on the history of commodore,
starting with the Vic20.

Believe it or not, for publication materials, you'd be surprised how
much original, out of print, material is available for checkout at your
local library.

Last year I was checking out books on programming 6502 assembly that was
published in the early 80s. The books were sitting on some shelf in a
university library far from me. I wouldn't be surprised if they have
good history books on the commodore for checkout. The book you're
looking for may easily be obtainable that way.

I even got recently published books on retro game programming written by
some known youtube personalities specializing on it.

I'd also check lemon64.com forum. The volume of knowledge there is bar
none the best I've seen. If you're a user of BBS's, there's a CBM echo
on fidonet you can post on too, if looking for good suggestions.
--
Daniel
Visit me at: gopher://gcpp.world
Mayhem