Vintage Commodore 128 Personal Computer Handbook
r***@iglou.com
2019-03-19 21:04:00 UTC
Just released is the "Vintage Commodore 128 Personal Computer Handbook: 2019 Survival Edition" by Margaret Gorts Morabito. Recommended by CBM engineer Bil Herd with a foreword from him, the book is both for C128 beginner and pro, telling about the basics of usage and updating about the newest developments for this computer.

To order the book or the Kindle version, go to

https://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Commodore-Personal-Computer-Handbook/dp/1090260814?fbclid=IwAR0aGwEsGTOGvJVzhC_J3ON8QgBvizLD-hn88Bn5cjS9r6e4Wr_0bVNTV0U

I'm getting mine,
Robert Bernardo
April 27-28 Commodore Los Angeles Super Show - http://www.portcommodore.com/class
June 8-9 Pacific Commodore Expo NW - http://www.portcommodore.com/pacommex
August 10-11 Commodore Vegas Expo v15 - http://www.portcommodore.com/commvex
cbmeeks
Just bought mine. It was cheap enough that I couldn't resist. About time the C128 got some more love.
Keith
p***@gmail.com
Mine boots and works perfectly.
cbmeeks
I have two C128'2 and a C128D. All three of them work perfectly.
J. Robertson
2019-03-21 21:55:56 UTC
On Thu, 21 Mar 2019 03:00:14 -0000 (UTC), Keith
Post by Keith
I'm sorry but you are thirty years too late. Do any real
commodore 128's even boot up today?
Of course they do. Not any different then all the many C64 computers
still booting up. My 128 has had no issues.

Also, thirty years too late? Well, we might as well shut down all the
Commodore related sites, forums, and quit releasing/developing all the
many new software and hardware that's out there for the C64 to the VIC
20 to the C128 and go home then.

Jason
Keith
2019-03-22 03:03:44 UTC
Post by Keith
I'm sorry but you are thirty years too late. Do any real
commodore 128's even boot up today?
Of course they do. Not any different then all the many C64 computers
still booting up. My 128 has had no issues.
Also, thirty years too late? Well, we might as well shut down all the
Commodore related sites, forums, and quit releasing/developing all the
many new software and hardware that's out there for the C64 to the VIC
20 to the C128 and go home then.
Jason
Today I play games on VICE in Linux. Do you use the C= computers
for anything productive? I used to use a C=64 in my business
distributing newspapers, writing college papers and selling
electronics via mail order.
Pinku Basudei
2019-03-26 03:15:17 UTC
Post by Keith
I'm sorry but you are thirty years too late. Do any real
commodore 128's even boot up today?
I regularly "call" a BBS in Sweden (Antidote BBS telnet://antidote.triad.se port 64128) that I believe is run on a real, living C128. Don't remember if it's a D model or not.
/ Pinku
cbmeeks
2019-03-25 13:39:15 UTC
Post by r***@iglou.com
Just released is the "Vintage Commodore 128 Personal Computer Handbook: 2019 Survival Edition" by Margaret Gorts Morabito. Recommended by CBM engineer Bil Herd with a foreword from him, the book is both for C128 beginner and pro, telling about the basics of usage and updating about the newest developments for this computer.
To order the book or the Kindle version, go to
https://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Commodore-Personal-Computer-Handbook/dp/1090260814?fbclid=IwAR0aGwEsGTOGvJVzhC_J3ON8QgBvizLD-hn88Bn5cjS9r6e4Wr_0bVNTV0U
I'm getting mine,
Robert Bernardo
April 27-28 Commodore Los Angeles Super Show - http://www.portcommodore.com/class
June 8-9 Pacific Commodore Expo NW - http://www.portcommodore.com/pacommex
August 10-11 Commodore Vegas Expo v15 - http://www.portcommodore.com/commvex
About the book...

I received mine Saturday. I haven't read all of it yet, but it seems to be pretty good so far. However, I do have to say it's not as good as the Apple II Reference Guide that was released a few years ago.

But, for the money, it's a pretty good deal. Especially since there aren't many C128 books around...not to mention NEW books about the C128. So definitely worth getting.

I do have one quibble with something I read so far. In the book, the author compares the C128 to the Apple IIc. The author compares the two computers and one thing she says is that the C128 has expandable memory but the IIc does not.

This is not correct. There were several memory expansion devices for the IIc. In fact, I have one. I admit, however, that expanding the memory in the C128 is easy as cake (you just plug the REU (or cart) in). The IIc was more difficult. But not impossible. The hardest part is taking the case apart. Once you pop the top of the case off, the rest is pretty easy.

The expansion card I have for the IIc has 512KiB of RAM, a RTC and even a Z80 processor for CP/M. It's just a card that goes into the CPU socket.

Anyway, just a minor quibble.