Making a .d71 out of two .d64 images
Tristan Miller
2020-01-31 11:41:00 UTC
Dear all,

I'd like to play Ultima V in VICE. This game came on four double-sided
disks, which entailed a lot of disk-swapping. But if memory serves, the
C128 version of the game supported up to two drives, and if the drives
were 1571s, the game would automatically read the correct side of the
disk for you. So with two 1571s, instead of one 1541, you could cut the
number of disk swaps by factor of 4.

The problem is that the only disk images of the game I have are .d64
images of the eight individual sides. Is there any way of combining two
.d64 images into a single .d71 image? Or is my only option to buy a
floppy drive capable of reading double-sided disks and the requisite
imaging software, and then manually re-image all the physical disks?

Regards,
Tristan
--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Tristan Miller
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Tristan Miller
2020-01-31 20:49:06 UTC
Greetings.
Post by Tristan Miller
I'd like to play Ultima V in VICE. This game came on four double-sided
disks, which entailed a lot of disk-swapping. But if memory serves, the
C128 version of the game supported up to two drives, and if the drives
were 1571s, the game would automatically read the correct side of the
disk for you. So with two 1571s, instead of one 1541, you could cut the
number of disk swaps by factor of 4.
The problem is that the only disk images of the game I have are .d64
images of the eight individual sides. Is there any way of combining two
.d64 images into a single .d71 image? Or is my only option to buy a
floppy drive capable of reading double-sided disks and the requisite
imaging software, and then manually re-image all the physical disks?
The 8bitguy on YouTube just released a video about Commodore disk
drives. The 1571 head two heads, thus could read both sides of a floppy
without turning it around, if made for the C128.
It also could read C64 (.d64) disks. But in the 1541 you would turn
around a disk to read the other side. That means that a 1571 could not
read the second side as the rotation of the disk would be the wrong way
(you would not turn the disk around as on a 1541). Thus I don't think
it's possible to run a double-sided 1541 disk on the C128 using a 1571
drive.
Ah, so maybe I was misremembering about not having to flip the disks. I
think VICE allows you to create a list of disk images and then swap
between these with a shortcut key, so that's probably another avenue for
me to try.

Regards,
Tristan
--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Andreas Kohlbach
2020-02-01 18:11:47 UTC
Post by Tristan Miller
Greetings.
Post by Tristan Miller
[...]
If you have your game available split into to images you can tell VICE to
load one into unit 8 and the other into unit 9. I don't know this
game. But if it's smart enough it will source other drives to load
additional content.
Andreas
Gary McCulloch
2020-01-31 04:49:12 UTC
On Fri 31-Jan-2020 12:41p, Tristan ***@3:770/3.0 wrote:
TM> Dear all,

TM> I'd like to play Ultima V in VICE. This game came on four double-sided
TM> disks, which entailed a lot of disk-swapping. But if memory serves, the
TM> C128 version of the game supported up to two drives, and if the drives
TM> were 1571s, the game would automatically read the correct side of the
TM> disk for you. So with two 1571s, instead of one 1541, you could cut the
TM> number of disk swaps by factor of 4.

TM> The problem is that the only disk images of the game I have are .d64
TM> images of the eight individual sides. Is there any way of combining two
TM> .d64 images into a single .d71 image? Or is my only option to buy a
TM> floppy drive capable of reading double-sided disks and the requisite
TM> imaging software, and then manually re-image all the physical disks?

Can you put them all on a .d4m image? Use DirMaster and give it a try.

-Spitfire Inc presents 2 Unique Systems...

Reign of Fire II BBS
C-Net DS-2 BETA System - rof.cnet64.com:6400
Reign of Fire BBS
C-Net Amiga Pro BETA System - rofbbs.cnetbbs.net:2300 - 931-494-9100
* C-Net/5
Harry Potter
2020-02-01 12:21:57 UTC
Try copying each pair of .d64 images to single .d71 images. :)
Anssi Saari
2020-02-10 08:21:34 UTC
It also could read C64 (.d64) disks. But in the 1541 you would turn
around a disk to read the other side. That means that a 1571 could not
read the second side as the rotation of the disk would be the wrong way
(you would not turn the disk around as on a 1541). Thus I don't think
it's possible to run a double-sided 1541 disk on the C128 using a 1571
drive.
It's an interesting question. Apparently the Ultima V C64 release had
the C128 stuff built in. No idea how this issue was actually handled? As
I understand it, floppies in 1571 format would've confused a 1541.
Andreas Kohlbach
2020-02-10 13:58:00 UTC
Post by Anssi Saari
It also could read C64 (.d64) disks. But in the 1541 you would turn
around a disk to read the other side. That means that a 1571 could not
read the second side as the rotation of the disk would be the wrong way
(you would not turn the disk around as on a 1541). Thus I don't think
it's possible to run a double-sided 1541 disk on the C128 using a 1571
drive.
It's an interesting question. Apparently the Ultima V C64 release had
the C128 stuff built in. No idea how this issue was actually handled? As
I understand it, floppies in 1571 format would've confused a 1541.
As far as I understand you can only read one side of a 1571 formatted disk
on a 1541. You cannot flip it.

The 8BitGuy explains it at
.
--