Solitare implementation!
Add Reply
mewpo...@hotmail.com
2020-09-12 15:00:35 UTC
Heyas!

I recently wrote a Solitare implementation for modern platforms because I thought I might play it on my tablet and so on and I hate ads.

Anyway, I just had to do a C64 implementation, too!

Et voila! I ported M3wP Solitare to GEOS on the C64!

Its not complete yet, I have to make a proper icon and so on as well as implement auto solving and some nice end game effects but its playable now. Oh! The graphics are a WIP too. I'm getting help with those.

I'm not sure if there are any other Solitare implementations for GEOS. It doesn't matter, I suppose...

My implementation is open source and available on GitHub at https://github.com/M3wP/M3wPSolitare

There is no documentation as yet, either. Sorry! I'll get there!

Daniel.
Daniel
2020-09-14 08:30:27 UTC
Post by ***@hotmail.com
Heyas!
I recently wrote a Solitare implementation for modern platforms
because I thought I might play it on my tablet and so on and I hate
Anyway, I just had to do a C64 implementation, too!
Et voila! I ported M3wP Solitare to GEOS on the C64!
Its not complete yet, I have to make a proper icon and so on as well
as implement auto solving and some nice end game effects but its
playable now. Oh! The graphics are a WIP too. I'm getting help with
those.
I'm not sure if there are any other Solitare implementations for GEOS. It doesn't matter, I suppose...
My implementation is open source and available on GitHub at https://github.com/M3wP/M3wPSolitare
There is no documentation as yet, either. Sorry! I'll get there!
Daniel.
At some point, I will be recapping and restoring my C64 and will have
GEOS and all that jazz working. This sounds exciting.
--
Daniel
Visit me at: gopher://gcpp.world
Dennis Katsonis
2020-09-14 07:53:00 UTC
Post by ***@hotmail.com
There is no documentation as yet, either. Sorry! I'll get there!
Daniel.
Da> At some point, I will be recapping and restoring my C64 and will have
Da> GEOS and all that jazz working. This sounds exciting.
Da> --
Da> Daniel
Da> Visit me at: gopher://gcpp.world

Do ceramic caps need to be replaced? I've noted on my Vic 20, which isn't
displaying an image, most of them appear to have a white powder, one one near
the VIC chip seems to have a small hole. This might be why there is no image.

... Dennis Katsonis
=== MultiMail/Linux v0.52
Computer Nerd Kev
2020-09-14 23:03:43 UTC
Post by Dennis Katsonis
Do ceramic caps need to be replaced? I've noted on my Vic 20, which isn't
displaying an image, most of them appear to have a white powder, one one near
the VIC chip seems to have a small hole. This might be why there is no image.
They don't age like electrolytic capacitors, and the exterior
appearance often isn't all that significant, but as with all
components, even resistors, they can and do fail. So they're
a suspect for why your VIC 20 isn't working, but probably not
the most likely one.
--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#
Dennis Katsonis
2020-09-15 06:53:00 UTC
-=> Computer Nerd Kev wrote to Dennis Katsonis <=-
Post by Dennis Katsonis
Do ceramic caps need to be replaced? I've noted on my Vic 20, which isn't
displaying an image, most of them appear to have a white powder, one one near
the VIC chip seems to have a small hole. This might be why there is no image.
CNK> They don't age like electrolytic capacitors, and the exterior
CNK> appearance often isn't all that significant, but as with all
CNK> components, even resistors, they can and do fail. So they're
CNK> a suspect for why your VIC 20 isn't working, but probably not
CNK> the most likely one.

I was able to poke the VIC chip and get it to produce scratchy sound, so it
appears to function, partly. It worked a bit. Without a replacement VIC chip
to try out, I'll try and change the dodgy looking capacitors and see how it
goes.

The VIC does seem to run though.

... MultiMail, the new multi-platform, multi-format offline reader!
=== MultiMail/Linux v0.52
Silver Dream !
2020-09-14 13:31:39 UTC
Post by ***@hotmail.com
Heyas!
I recently wrote a Solitare implementation for modern platforms because I thought I might play it on my tablet and so on and I hate ads.
Anyway, I just had to do a C64 implementation, too!
+1!
Post by ***@hotmail.com
Et voila! I ported M3wP Solitare to GEOS on the C64!
I especially like it being GEOS application.
+1!
Andreas Kohlbach
2020-09-14 18:18:36 UTC
Post by ***@hotmail.com
I recently wrote a Solitare implementation for modern platforms
because I thought I might play it on my tablet and so on and I hate
Anyway, I just had to do a C64 implementation, too!
Et voila! I ported M3wP Solitare to GEOS on the C64!
Its not complete yet, I have to make a proper icon and so on as well
as implement auto solving and some nice end game effects but its
playable now. Oh! The graphics are a WIP too. I'm getting help with
those.
I'm not sure if there are any other Solitare implementations for GEOS. It doesn't matter, I suppose...
My implementation is open source and available on GitHub at https://github.com/M3wP/M3wPSolitare
There is no documentation as yet, either. Sorry! I'll get there!
Was looking through my C64 library and found a "normal" version of
Solitaire. I have no idea how to play Solitaire but once I get GEOS
working on the C64 I'll have a look at your version.
Andreas
Daniel
2020-09-19 10:45:00 UTC
-=> Dennis Katsonis wrote to Daniel <=-
Post by ***@hotmail.com
There is no documentation as yet, either. Sorry! I'll get there!
Daniel.
Da> At some point, I will be recapping and restoring my C64 and will have
Da> GEOS and all that jazz working. This sounds exciting.
Da> --
Da> Daniel
Da> Visit me at: gopher://gcpp.world

DK> Do ceramic caps need to be replaced? I've noted on my Vic 20, which
DK> isn't displaying an image, most of them appear to have a white powder,
DK> one one near the VIC chip seems to have a small hole. This might be
DK> why there is no image.

I don't know. I've seen a number of C64 and Vic20 cap replacement kits.

I think it may be good practice to replace all of them..

Did you know someone reverse engineered the C64 mainboard and sells it new?

www.tindie.com/products/bobsbits/sixtyclone-commodore-64-replica-pcbs

I think you can order the cap kits from him too. I've seen the kits on various
sites on the web so they're not novel.

Daniel Traechin

... Visit me at gopher://gcpp.world
Dennis Katsonis
2020-09-21 08:45:00 UTC
-=> Daniel wrote to Dennis Katsonis <=-

Post by ***@hotmail.com
There is no documentation as yet, either. Sorry! I'll get there!
Daniel.
Da> At some point, I will be recapping and restoring my C64 and will have
Da> GEOS and all that jazz working. This sounds exciting.
Da> --
Da> Daniel
Da> Visit me at: gopher://gcpp.world

DK> Do ceramic caps need to be replaced? I've noted on my Vic 20, which
DK> isn't displaying an image, most of them appear to have a white powder,
DK> one one near the VIC chip seems to have a small hole. This might be
DK> why there is no image.

Da> I don't know. I've seen a number of C64 and Vic20 cap replacement kits.

Da> I think it may be good practice to replace all of them..

Da> Did you know someone reverse engineered the C64 mainboard and sells it
Da> new?

Da> www.tindie.com/products/bobsbits/sixtyclone-commodore-64-replica-pcbs

Da> I think you can order the cap kits from him too. I've seen the kits on
Da> various sites on the web so they're not novel.

The caps you can get anywhere. The dodgy looking ones are 0.1um Farad rated at
25V. I'll buy 10 and replace them.

Oddly, it produces sound, albeit very, very, very quietly.

Once the lockdown lifts, I will get the other C64's from my parents garage and
test them. I know one doesn't start (black screen), and one only has 29 bytes
RAM free. It's really weird. It WORKS, but instead of 38911 bytes, it says 29
bytes free. Type a couple of lines of BASIC code and you run out of RAM.