C64 floppy to image
Add Reply
Shawn Highfield
2024-07-23 06:29:44 UTC
Hi All,

What is the best cost effective way to convert a c64
floppy into an image file I can use in an emulator?

I found a floppy with my old BBS software on it that I wrote
and I'd love to see it agian.

Shawn

* SeM. 2.26 * If this thing's so foolproof, why won't it work for me?
Captain Nemo
2024-07-24 09:28:24 UTC
What is the best cost effective way to convert a c64 floppy into an
image file I can use in an emulator?
The only way I can think of off hand is to get something like a Pi1541 or
SD2IEC. Then hook it up to your system with a real floppy drive and copy
the files from the real floppy to the image on the Pi1541/SD2IEC.
Robert Roland
2024-07-24 10:36:32 UTC
On Tue, 23 Jul 2024 19:29:44 +1300,
Post by Shawn Highfield
What is the best cost effective way to convert a c64
floppy into an image file I can use in an emulator?
The cheapest is probably to buy or make an XM1541 cable. It requires a
PC with on-board parallel port, though, which most new computers don't
have. It works along with the OpenCBM software package, which is free.

If you don't have a suitable parallel port available, an alternative
is an XUM1541 device. It connects to a USB port. It contains a
microcontroller, so if you want to build your own, you must have the
equipment to program the microcontroller. One popular implementation
of the XUM1541 is the ZoomFloppy, but there are also less expensive
alternatives available.

Both these options require the use of a working 1541 or compatible
disk drive.

If you only have one disk to transfer, it may be best to simply ask
someone locally to do it for you.
RoRo
Shawn Highfield
2024-07-25 18:29:25 UTC
Hi Robert,
In a message to All you wrote:

RR> Both these options require the use of a working 1541 or compatible
RR> disk drive.

I have that. Thank you for the answer I'll go hunting.

RR> If you only have one disk to transfer, it may be best to simply ask
RR> someone locally to do it for you.

True, I'll also see if there's a local CBM group anywhere left. I'm close(ish)
to Toronto so it shouldn't be too difficult to find someone.

Thanks,

Shawn

* SeM. 2.26 * File not found, I'll load something *I* think is interesting.
Phigan
2024-07-31 03:02:41 UTC
To: nospam.Shawn.Highfield
Re: Re: C64 floppy to image
By: nospam.Shawn.Highfield to Robert Roland on Fri Jul 26 2024 07:29:25
Post by Shawn Highfield
True, I'll also see if there's a local CBM group anywhere left. I'm close(i
to Toronto so it shouldn't be too difficult to find someone.
Oops, my previous response was before I saw this one.

Isn't there a Toronto PET Users Group that's pretty big?

But you said you even already have some hardware...
--- Synchronet 3.16c-Win32 NewsLink 1.103
MutinyBBS - telnet : mutinybbs.com:2332 - ssh : mutinybbs.com:2232
Shawn Highfield
2024-07-25 18:29:25 UTC
Hi Captain,
On <Thu, 24 Jul 24>, you wrote me:

CN> The only way I can think of off hand is to get something like a
CN> Pi1541 or SD2IEC. Then hook it up to your system with a real floppy
CN> drive and copy
CN> the files from the real floppy to the image on the Pi1541/SD2IEC.

I'll look into this as I have 3 pi3's sittign in a box with nothing to do
now.

Thank-you,

Shawn

* SeM. 2.26 * Useless Invention: Breathable Space Suit.
phigan
2024-08-18 22:16:10 UTC
Post by Shawn Highfield
I'll look into this as I have 3 pi3's sittign in a box with nothing to do
now.
Did you end up finding/getting anything?

There is this combo cart on eBay that is fastload + Pi1541 in one.
Hopefully you saw one of those :). Also, there is the Sidekick64 that
goes on a Pi. I have one and enjoy the network-enabled fork of the
firmware for it.

Phigan
2024-07-31 03:00:21 UTC
To: nospam.Shawn.Highfield
Re: C64 floppy to image
By: nospam.Shawn.Highfield to All on Tue Jul 23 2024 19:29:44
Post by Shawn Highfield
and I'd love to see it agian.
What city are you in? Maybe there are Commodorians nearby with hardware if you
don't have it.
Shawn Highfield
2024-07-31 17:22:38 UTC
Hi Phigan,
In a message to All you wrote:

P> Isn't there a Toronto PET Users Group that's pretty big?

Yes there is. That's going to be the answer I think.

P> But you said you even already have some hardware...

Just the original hardware from teh 80's. Nothing modern has
been added / modified.

* SeM. 2.26 * Chemists have nice reactions.