What's happening to Comp.Sys.Sinclair and Acorn?
outsoft
2023-10-24 21:47:03 UTC
I continue receive 300 messages per day, are spamming on these channels?

The problem starts 15 days ago and never stops.

Best regards to all here.

--Simon
Jan van den Broek
2023-10-25 09:26:30 UTC
Post by outsoft
I continue receive 300 messages per day, are spamming on these channels?
The problem starts 15 days ago and never stops.
In a nutshell, spammers from GoogleGroups.
In comp.lang.c there as more than thousands messages per day.
--
Jan v/d Broek ***@dds.nl

"Ich kenne das Leben, ich bin im Kino gewesen."
Peter 'Shaggy' Haywood
2023-10-26 22:31:25 UTC
Groovy hepcat Jan van den Broek was jivin' in comp.sys.cbm on Wed, 25
Oct 2023 08:26 pm. It's a cool scene! Dig it.
Post by Jan van den Broek
Post by outsoft
I continue receive 300 messages per day, are spamming on these channels?
The problem starts 15 days ago and never stops.
In a nutshell, spammers from GoogleGroups.
That explains why I'm not seeing them. I have GG killfiled. I long ago
found it more productive to plonk GG altogether and "un-plonk" those
few clueful individuals who post via it (i.e., raise their score in the
killfile).
Post by Jan van den Broek
In comp.lang.c there as more than thousands messages per day.
I am blissfully unaware of those. :)
--
----- Dig the NEW and IMPROVED news sig!! -----

-------------- Shaggy was here! ---------------
Ain't I'm a dawg!!
Jan van den Broek
2023-10-27 14:25:15 UTC
Post by Peter 'Shaggy' Haywood
Groovy hepcat Jan van den Broek was jivin' in comp.sys.cbm on Wed, 25
Oct 2023 08:26 pm. It's a cool scene! Dig it.
I'm not quite sure if I'm really a groovy hepcat, but I've listened to
Go! bij Dexter Gordon this morning.
Post by Jan van den Broek
Post by outsoft
I continue receive 300 messages per day, are spamming on these channels?
The problem starts 15 days ago and never stops.
In a nutshell, spammers from GoogleGroups.
That explains why I'm not seeing them. I have GG killfiled. I long ago
Same here.

[Schnipp]

But to get a bit on-topic, here is a Basic-program:
10 poke 53280,0:poke 53281,0
20 s$="acgt"
30 c$=chr$(28)+chr$(30)+chr$(31)+chr$(158)
40 r=1+int(rnd(0)*4)
50 print mid$(c$,r,1);mid$(s$,r,1);
60 goto 40

Also a JavaScript-version on
https://balglaas.home.xs4all.nl/mvzi/dna/dna.html

Dave Drum
2023-10-28 14:24:00 UTC
-=> Jan van den Broek wrote to Peter 'Shaggy' Haywood <=-
Post by Peter 'Shaggy' Haywood
Groovy hepcat Jan van den Broek was jivin' in comp.sys.cbm on Wed, 25
Oct 2023 08:26 pm. It's a cool scene! Dig it.
JvB> I'm not quite sure if I'm really a groovy hepcat, but I've listened to
JvB> Go! bij Dexter Gordon this morning.

A little Alligator Boogaloo with Long Tall Dexter is always groovy.

Or Quincy Jones, for that matter.
... "A cheapskate won't tip a server. I'm just careful with my money" Dave Drum
Anssi Saari
2023-10-30 19:28:34 UTC
Post by Jan van den Broek
10 poke 53280,0:poke 53281,0
20 s$="acgt"
30 c$=chr$(28)+chr$(30)+chr$(31)+chr$(158)
40 r=1+int(rnd(0)*4)
50 print mid$(c$,r,1);mid$(s$,r,1);
60 goto 40
Pretty cool.

So what's a convenient command line way to get from an ascii basic
listing to a prg inside a d64 image? After some looking I used tok64 and
c1541.

Second place was bastext to t64 and then to d64 via c1541 but I was
weirded out since it seems the only binary output bastext is willing to
do is a t64 file. And while c1541 should handle those, it didn't in this
case.
Andreas Kohlbach
2023-10-30 23:08:08 UTC
Post by Anssi Saari
Post by Jan van den Broek
10 poke 53280,0:poke 53281,0
20 s$="acgt"
30 c$=chr$(28)+chr$(30)+chr$(31)+chr$(158)
40 r=1+int(rnd(0)*4)
50 print mid$(c$,r,1);mid$(s$,r,1);
60 goto 40
Pretty cool.
I was also about to type it into the VICE emulator.
Post by Anssi Saari
So what's a convenient command line way to get from an ascii basic
listing to a prg inside a d64 image? After some looking I used tok64 and
c1541.
Second place was bastext to t64 and then to d64 via c1541 but I was
weirded out since it seems the only binary output bastext is willing to
do is a t64 file. And while c1541 should handle those, it didn't in this
case.
So no image created?

I'll write it down then at the weekend and type it into the C64 (emulated
in VICE). Can upload the image to my web server for others then.
Andr *can wait to see what it does* eas
Robert Roland
2023-10-30 23:30:45 UTC
On Mon, 30 Oct 2023 19:08:08 -0400, Andreas Kohlbach
Post by Andreas Kohlbach
I was also about to type it into the VICE emulator.
You do know that you can simply paste it into the Vice window?

(On the Windows version, at least)
RoRo
Andreas Kohlbach
2023-11-01 02:33:10 UTC
Post by Andreas Kohlbach
I was also about to type it into the VICE emulator.
You do know that you can simply paste it into the Vice window?
(On the Windows version, at least)
I didn't know!. Thank you!
Andreas
Anssi Saari
2023-10-31 11:00:51 UTC
Post by Andreas Kohlbach
So no image created?
If I was unclear, not by the bastext + c1541 combo. No issue with tok64
and c1541.

I just wanted the image so I could run it in some browser based emulator
which takes d64 images.
Andreas Kohlbach
2023-11-01 02:33:05 UTC
Post by Anssi Saari
Post by Andreas Kohlbach
So no image created?
If I was unclear, not by the bastext + c1541 combo. No issue with tok64
and c1541.
Sorry, I don't know what these are. Thought some disk emulators.
Andreas
Andreas Kohlbach
2023-11-01 02:50:23 UTC
Post by Anssi Saari
Post by Andreas Kohlbach
So no image created?
If I was unclear, not by the bastext + c1541 combo. No issue with tok64
and c1541.
Sorry, I don't know what these are. Thought some disk emulators.

I was able to paste in the BASIC code into VICE and run it. Beautiful:
the C64 creates life. :-)

Anyway, I was able to "save it on tape" and created an *tap image. If
interested I can upload it to my web server.
Andreas
Felice Murolo
2023-10-24 23:41:30 UTC
Post by outsoft
I continue receive 300 messages per day, are spamming on these channels?
The problem starts 15 days ago and never stops.
Best regards to all here.
--Simon
--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
* Origin: Agency HUB, Dunedin - New Zealand | Fido<>Usenet Gateway
SEEN-BY: 301/1 331/313 333/808 334/10 335/206 364 370 601 341/66 633/280
SEEN-BY: 712/848 770/1 3 100 340 772/210 220 230 5058/104
PATH: 770/3 1 218/840 221/6 335/364
Hi.

Here, however, everything seems to work. 1-2 messages per day in this
conference.

Ciao.
Felix
Mike Powell
2023-10-24 21:09:00 UTC
Post by outsoft
I continue receive 300 messages per day, are spamming on these channels?
The problem starts 15 days ago and never stops.
Best regards to all here.
I am not seeing them here, but was seeing them in comp.lang.cobol. The
spam appears to be binary or otherwise encoded. I was able to filter most
of it as the FROM names being used followed a similar pattern.

Mike

* SLMR 2.1a * I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.